Wednesday, January 19, 2011

change is gonna do ya good

blame is diametrically opposed to change.  if i can blame someone else for anything, doesn't matter what it is, than i do not have to examine myself.  while the attention is on logic, reason, explanations, curiosity, and the myriad rationalizations, then there is no self examination.  i have all the answers i need, i've blamed someone else, i have nothing wrong with me.

spiritual growth doesn't work like that.  i have to make progress every day on how i can help others, how i can make a difference in someone's life, no not like the videographer who discovered homeless voice over guy, not by contributing millions of dollars to starving people overseas. 

helping other's is not about being a busy body, having all the answers, or giving away my stuff, although that is certainly possible

i can help other's best by looking at myself first, and becoming grateful for what i have and focusing on what i need to do to stay happy today

if i can turn bad moments into good; if i can stay focused on serenity when the world around me is going crazy, then i can be of the most good to others.

so i ask myself, what can i do to improve this moment?  how can i be happy in this terrible instance of stress?

and i avoid the blame game

_________________________________

Audubon, May-June 2009-Black-Footed Ferret on cover. Photo Gallery:Zooming In On Endangered Species.

top of blog to see all of sam's stuff

return to twitter

8 comments:

  1. Awesome! It is so true. Many times when people want to change the World it is because their own life is in such disarray that they don't want to look at it, so they focus on something distant from them. Changing ones self is like cleaning a cluttered room, just do a little bit each day, just put a little more attention on the issues at hand and then they will not be so insurmountable. It is like picking up that first sock when cleaning a cluttered room. There just needs to be the intent and then action will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go back and read this while listening to Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror"...absolutely inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm human, complaints of blame slide out from time to time, but I try not to make a pattern of it. Each of us in every interaction that fails needs to look, address and own our own part of the fail. I also think the same can be done re: ife/living victories be they large or small~ a sentence Christian Larson wrote, "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others" ~ I make the effort to look at every day. It doesn't always work, but I try to keep myself open up to it. I can't apply it to football cuz I have to say what I have to say about that subject. I do agree as to the base, if you are comfortable with yourself that 'love thyself', it easier to be more comfortable with others and love them as they are. No matter how old one gets, there is always a spiritual truth, a light bulb moment that reaches you with its' own light!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great attitude, Sammy. Whenever I find myself spending time thinking about the faults of others, as I perceive them to be, I realize it's time I mind my own business and get a life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is exactly the answer Sam...it all starts inside oneself...

    thanks.
    ~cath
    @jonesbabie on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  6. From the mouths of ferrets. . . . It's all about accepting responsibility, isn't it. But it seems to be the last thing humans want to do. Thanks for sharing your furry wisdom this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is ferret zen at its finest! Thanks, Sam, for sharing wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great and very true!

    ReplyDelete